This past Saturday, some guys from NewBranch joined me in attending Fight Club 2010, a gospel-centered one-day conference for men. This was the second year of the conference, and it was a great time of worship, and challenging messages. The theme of this year’s Fight Club was being transformed into the kind of men God uses in His mission to redeem a lost people back to Himself. In other words, what are the characteristics of a man on mission for Christ in the world.
One of the speakers was Dr. Samuel Thomas of Hopegivers International, which is an organization dedicated to the rescue and care of orphaned, abandoned, and at-risk children. Their work is primarily centered in India, but they work in other countries as well. What they do is invite orphans into their homes and schools and train them up to be pastors and medical aid workers to their own people.
One of the things that struck me was that they ask their graduating pastors (they call them pioneer missionaries) to sign what they call a Martyr’s Oath before they graduate from their school and head out into ministry. These young workers know that they are putting their safety and their very lives on the line for the Gospel.
I wanted to pass this along so that we can see the kind of commitment following and serving Jesus requires in some parts of the world. What if we lived by a similar oath? How might our lives better mirror the kind of radical life transformation that the Bible calls all of us to?
Check this out:
- I stand with the Apostle Paul in stating that “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
- I take a stand to honor the Lord Jesus Christ with my hands to serve all mankind.
- I take a stand to honor the Lord Jesus Christ with my feet to spread the gospel to all the ends of the earth no matter what the cost.
- I take a stand to honor the Lord Jesus Christ with my lips by proclaiming the Good News to all who hear and by edifying the body of Christ.
- I take a stand to honor the Lord Jesus Christ with my mind as I meditate upon His Word and His promises to me.
- I give my earthly treasures and all that I possess to follow the way of the cross.
- I commit to love my family, orphans, widows, lepers, the wealthy and the poor the way that Christ loved the Church.
- I surrender my will and life to His will and life.
- I commit to the service of the Lord by being a good steward of my time.
- I surrender this body on earth to the perfect will of Jesus and should my blood be spilled may it bring forth a mighty harvest of souls.
- I pledge allegiance to the Lamb. I will seek to honor His command. I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes.
- Lord Jesus, Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- I love my nation and my fellow citizens and I claim my nation for Christ.
I have read this pledge and understood it completely. Being of sound mind and body, I do solemnly declare this martyr’s pledge without any persuasion of enticement.
Who among us would say, “sign me up”?