In yesterday’s sermon we tackled the weighty issue of homosexuality. In my sermon, The Gospel and Homosexuality (Audio HERE| Manuscript HERE) I sought to answer four questions from three texts of scripture:
- What Is God’s Design For Human Sexuality? (Genesis 2)
- What Went Wrong? (Romans 1)
- What (Who) is The Remedy? (1 Corinthians 6)
- How Should We Respond?
As I mentioned yesterday, we only scratched the surface of the issue. Fortunately, there is a wealth of biblical resources available to us for further study. I wanted to point you to some resources that I think will be helpful:
- Is God anti-gay? by Sam Allberry Sam is a pastor in the U.K. who experiences same sex attraction. I relied heavily on this book in my sermon, especially Sam’s observations on Genesis 2 and Romans 1. The book is concise, gracious, full of truth, and very accessible for every Christian looking for a better understanding on the subject. This is also a great resource for someone struggling with same sex attraction. Sam writes with pastoral wisdom and care.
- Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor’s Journey into Christian Faith by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield From the back of the book:
Rosaria, by the standards of many, was living a very good life. She had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. There, her partner rehabilitated abandoned and abused dogs. In the community, Rosaria was involved in volunteer work. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department’s curriculum. And then, in her late 30s, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down-the idea that Christianity, a religion that she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God was, an idea that flew in the face of the people and causes that she most loved. What follows is a story of what she describes as a “train wreck” at the hand of the supernatural. These are her secret thoughts about those events, written as only a reflective English professor could.
- God and the Gay Christian? A Response to Matthew Vines FREE EBOOK Al Mohler, Denny Burk, Owen Strachan, Jim Hamilton, Heath Lambert.Professors from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary dismantle Matthew Vine’s argument that the Bible permits committed homosexual relationships.
- The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics by Robert A.J. Gagnon. Dr. Gagnon’s book is the most thorough academic work on properly understanding homosexuality in light of the Bible. This is a beast of a book at 522 pages!
Web Sites Articles:
- Homosexuality, Christianity, and The Gospel by J.D. Greear Part 1| Part 2| Part 3| Part 4
- Dr. Robert Gagnon’s website: Full of free articles, videos, and lecture aduio.
- Living Out: Hear Sam Allbery’s testimony as well as the stories of many others. From the website:
We want to help Christian brothers and sisters who experience same-sex attraction stay faithful to Biblical teaching on sexual ethics and flourish at the same time….To help the Christian Church understand how they can better help those who experience same-sex attraction to flourish….To help the wider world hear and understand that there is more than just one viable script for those who are same-sex attracted.
- Sexual Devolution: A lecture from Dr. Albert Mohler tracing the downward spiral of sexuality in western culture over the past 50+ years.